Thursday, June 11, 2009

A not so forgetful past

I graduated from IIM Lucknow and I am proud of it. Whenever someone asks me where I got my MBA, I don't say India and neither do I say IIM - I make it a point to say IIM Lucknow. A recent email on our IIM alumni list motivated this post. A guy who graduated a long tiem ago from IIML was appointed as a Senior VP or something at a US firm and he forwarded the press release to the IIM L alumni list. However, this press release said his MBA was from Darden and never mentioned IIM L. I was wondering why in the hell did he post it on the list and another alumnus popped the question on the list :)

I have known a number of people who get an MBA from one of the IIMs and for whatever personal reasons decide to pursue another MBA from one of the top US schools. I don't have a problem with that, but being an alumnus of one of the IIMs I feel sorry for the person who tries to hide the previous MBA, particularly if it is from an IIM.

I had exhilarating fun when I was a student at IIM L. I think I met some of the brightest of minds including Abhijit Rey, Jayarama Krishnan, Shashank Rathi, Puneet Satyawadi, Rohit Sood, Rahul Jain, and Niraj Kumar Singh, just to mention a few. I also met some of the most balanced people including Neeraj Aggarwal, Gautam Mehrotra, and Akhila Patlolla, among others. And there are many such Raghu who will probably remain friends for life. IIM L offered me a chance to interact with these guys and learn from them. IIM L offered me a direction in my life, an ambition and a purpose. I cannot imagine people can spend two years of their life at aninstitution such as an IIM and not credit it for who they are. IIM L shaped who I am right now and offered me two of the best years in my life. If there is anything I have accomplished in my life, I would credit it to the two years that I spent at IIM Lucknow. I don't feel sorry for those who try to forget such a wonderful past.

No comments: