Thursday, May 28, 2009

Search Engines and Emotion

I could not help rolling on the floor with laughter.  What else could I do after I read this comment by a Microsoft employee in a news article,

He said Microsoft was hoping to build an "emotional connection" between users and its search engines, as well as brand loyalty.

Emotional connection? What the heck is he talking about...ok, here goes.... let me give it a try.

I get up early in the morning, make some coffee, switch on my computer, open a browser, get butterflies in my stomach, think of puppies and infants, sniffle a little, think of gardens filled with flowers, tons of more babies and then make a decision finally ... to open Bing, Microsoft's search engine instead of google.  Maybe, I don't get it.

Too much has been written about search engines and consumers.  Google cracked it through its simple UI, period.  Brand Loyalty is a result of this simplicity in design and execution and there is no way a company like Microsoft can make the same thing happen. 

2 comments:

Santhosh K Ramachandran said...

May be you didn't get right, google has an emotional connection with its consumers, for past 6months, 70% of status message is related to any of the google products, So I have got a connection with google, when i use someone else's laptop and if yahoo is th default search engine, i get irritated even though its giving me the same results.... Brand loyalty is to fight apple, i assume..!!

Girish Mallapragada said...

.. hmm.. well...
I was trying to get at the underlying psychological process that may lead to a consumer's choice of search engine. What you described is happening is the emotional connection that is a result of past - I am trying to make fun of their comment that they want to build that connection.