Thursday, January 08, 2009

Kubuntu, Ubuntu and speeding up my laptop

For the last one month I had been struggling with my laptop. Specifically with its ability to connect to my broadband net connection. Webpages were loading incredibly slowly and initially I figured there must be malware on my laptop, although I doubted that as I am extremely careful with the sites I browse and because I use strong anti-virus detection software. Just to be sure, I scanned my laptop and as per my assumption found nothing. I tried various other things I knew, looking for updates to my wireless card, check for hardware issues using PC Doctor, among other things. No issues.

Finally, I gave up and started using Linux more. I have both Kubuntu and ubuntu loaded through Wubi on my laptop and my hardware works beautifully with both. The wireless card is upto its peak speed and the internet is back again! What more can I say?

3 comments:

Never Mind!! said...

Cool blog you have! Just stumbled upon it from my feed reader recommended list. Look forward to interesting reading!

Oh and just checked your homepage at UNC. I am OUCE alumnus too. Civil Engg '03.

Girish Mallapragada said...

Hey thanks....by the way I realized you read Madhu Menon and Amit Varma's blog.. I am on an private emailing list with them and they are very interesting folks....

Never Mind!! said...

Yeah, I do exchange emails with Amit Verma sometimes. For a much celebrated blogger, he is surprisingly accessible to most of his readers.