Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pontiac G8 GT: Car review .. well not really

Yes!

I finally get to blog a auto review! And, that too of a much vaunted, much lusted for Pontiac G8 GT - pure american muscle in all its glory.  I test drove this baby today at a dealership in Durham, NC.  The car is one of the first 888 G8s that rolled off the assembly line in GM's division Down Under - Holden of Australia. 

To say that G8's exterior looks awesome would be an understatement.  It looks mean and has a stance of a predator waiting to pounce on its prey.  Its rectangular lines and a wheelbase that rivals a BMW's 5 series clearly positions it as a competitor to the perpetual winners in the performance sedan race.  I did push on the accelerator when I hit the highway, and the 361 HP 6 Litre V-8 responded with zest.  I drove it in regular transmission mode and felt that the drive train was hesitant in the first two gears, however, it did extremely well once it reached the third gear. You have to take that with a pinch of salt as I have been pampered by my Corvette's V-8 that does much better in the lower gears.  I did get an impression that the transmission responded much better when I shifted to the sport mode. Road noise seemed reasonably low given that a huge V-8 was growling under the hood.  The car handled beautifully around curves and there was absolutely no roll.  I am not a race car driver, but having driven a Corvette for over a year, I do admit that the G8 is a great car for just around 32K.  There is no other car that comes close to the value that G8 gives you in the performance sedan category.  With a timing of 5.3 seconds for 0-60 mph, a 32k car is a steal!

GM claims that better mileage can be achieved on the interstate as the G8 power plant shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders while cruising.  I sincerely wish that this displacement on demand technique works fine. 

Am I upgrading to a G8?  Hmm...interesting question.  I was told that there is a serious inventory shortage as only a few G8's have arrived at dealerships.  I am salivating over a black panther black finish with a sunroof - looks like it will be a wait.  If I do upgrade, I will be sure to blog about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'...pampered by my corvette..'. Hmm...isn't that your wife's vette?

Girish Mallapragada said...

I pay for most of it ...:)

Mahima Hada said...

Drools. Is jealous.