Monday, December 03, 2007

Second Coming - what about me ?

I believe I have never caused harm to anyone by malicious intent.  I can safely say that I have done some good to people in need, and have often reached out to help a number of people through various means - money, advice, emotional support included.  I have had my bad days, but through lot of pain and suffering I have redeemed myself put them behind me and managed to get my life in order.

But, through this process I have turned into some sort of an atheist monster who does not believe in god, for the most part. 

I had an interesting conversation with my cousin recently about Jesus and his second coming and how we all will be judged.  I am a born hindu, and so is she.  However, she is a devout Christian by faith and attends service diligently.  She prays for me and sincerely believes that on judgment day, I will be granted a safe way to heaven because of her prayers.  I took offense, almost immediately. 

I don't want to go to heaven.  I don't believe in it.  I am a good person, but I am not a Christian.  How can Jesus send me to heaven, if I am not a believer.  Doesn't the word of God say that all non-believers will be sent to hell? Doesn't Christianity eloquently state that all non-believers are sinners? and that Jesus is the only savior of the masses?  How come?

I am not a Hindu either, as I don't practice that faith.  Does it make me a sinner?  If I do not fall within the stereotypes laid out in any of these religions - then why is it that I would be sent to heaven or hell, as my case might be according to these faiths?

In fact, I would refuse to go to heaven, even if there was one.  I don't believe any one person or one messiah who can deliver us from this smut called our mortal life.  In fact, I don't believe that we are living a life of sins, if we lead a honorable life.  A life that is spent in being truthful, working hard and helping others. I don't need to read holy scriptures to learn that. I don't need to be a Brahmin to be that and neither do I have to pray to do that.  If I have caused harm to anyone in anyway, I deserve direct consequences of my actions and they will be meted out, I am sure. 

Many believers spend countless hours in churches singing the praises of the Lord and, and in temples chanting slokas.  What does it bring us?  Wouldn't this time be well spent if we help an orphanage or a old-age home and volunteer for community service.  And, if one does not have time to do all this, isn't it better to just donate money to charities?  Do we need to sing and pray and read holy scriptures to be true believers? First of all we need to be good humans, and then if there is any time left in our lives, we can probably spend that learning and being a better human, not just waste it attending sermons.

1 comment:

Jayarama Krishnan said...

Amen.
Oh I'm sorry. I mean, I completely agree. :)