Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Change .. %$^&*$ up NRIs.. For those NRIs who side-step lines in India

Firstly, I have to apologize for the title of my blog post, although I censored it myself.

Now that I have done that I would like to vent out my frustration and anger!  I landed in the hyderabad airport from detroit a few days ago.  I was telling my wife as we entered the terminal that a changing India still does present its ugly face quite often.  Not a moment passed after I said that and we saw a very busy man on his cell phone helped a woman with her child out of the line and usher her through immigration before others.  He kept talking to someone incessantly on his cell phone, someone apparently very important as he was calling him Sir, and telling him that he had his daughter out already.  My anger seethed, but like a wimp I did nothing, because I knew if I objected I would be stopped by the customs guys and harassed so badly that I wish I were not born!  But, in any case most of us who live within a system that does not penalize such atrocious behavior are wimps.  because we seldom object and let such events slip by right under our nose.

I hated the woman who by-passed the counter more than the guy who aided her in doing so.  The bitch (apologies) was coming from the US where she has seen a better system and knows better.  She acted as if she didn't even notice our presence and just went along with the guy speaking the vernacular.  But, I realized that many Indians never change. They just become their old self the moment they get back to India.  There are a lot of good things one can lean in the US.  Discipline while driving, abiding by rules, not side-stepping one's turn etc. etc.

I know that asking those who live in India not to do so might be foolishness, but for those who visit India from the US it is not too much of an ask. Change u as@#$%^&.

No comments: