Friday, October 26, 2007

Love and Marriage: Horse and Carriage

Frank Sinatra said those words so beautifully!

The general populace (movie-going) of my home state has a lot to learn from that phrase. Somehow, I get a feeling that they are all being very hypocritical about what they think of love and marriage. Do they support the concept of love or do they merely think it is for drama in movies and not to be played out in real life?

Let me give a brief background. Chiranjeevi, one of the most popular movie stars of my home state, is facing a dilemma of his lifetime. His daughter decided to run away from home and marry her sweetheart for four years, against the wishes of her family. She claimed that she had been in love for four years and that her family had kept her under house arrest to avoid the scenario that eventually played out a few weeks ago. Mainstream media reported that Chiranjeevi was deeply hurt by her actions and that he was in a state of shock. Sympathy poured in for the star!

I could not believe what was happening! Wait a minute! Didn't her father play a thousand roles all in which he falls in love with a girl, marries her against the wishes of her father (usually thespian actors such as Allu Ramalingiah or Ravu Gopala Rao). Much of the Chiranjeevi fan base loved him because he played the upright, truth-conscious young man who stood up for beliefs, almost to perfection. When it came down to his own life, the cinematic message did not seem to apply. He was shocked, rather than being supportive of his daughter's love.


If I were to think of this in terms of Arnie's movie – Last Action Hero, then all the on screen villains of Chiranjeevi would be laughing their asses off in their graves. He was the ones who usually buried them under tons of mud or in a bog, at the end of the movie and get married to their daughters. Now, he faces a crisis in his own life. Is he the villain? The father of a daughter who falls in love with a young man he does not approve.

On a different note, I hope he comes out and reconciles with his daughter rather than keep quiet. The problem is with the millions of people who are mindless fanatics and worship him. A message that he sends out does impact how his fans think, although I have to say I feel so sorry that movie starts have a larger than life impact on our movie-crazy society.

Talk of poetic justice.

6 comments:

venugopal said...

The problem is with the millions of people who are mindless fanatics and worship him.


Giri are you deciding that million of people are mindless. U are one entity and deciding about millions. What mindless actions they performed. Did they perform alltogether. Did millions of people came together and touched some one. Any destructions or carnage? DOnt write unnecessary things mama this is not your marketing topic and you cannot write this
ANd you are mentioning about some crazy society. Which Society are you mentioning. I think you became crazy in writing this stuff.


Just try to control mama. Dont write unnecessary things which destroys your image. AP is not neighbour hood state to build a temple. And I strongly oppose you being one and only one entity, but decide about millions by staying in USA about AP in INDIA. GREAT works are gettting more GREAT. Keep writing so I can criticize some

Girish Mallapragada said...

Venu,

It is my opinion and not a decision. What I write about need not be related to what I do professionally!I blog not because I want someone to know who I am. I blog because I like writing about all things sundry!

venugopal said...

HI girish
I replied that for letting you know about Chiru fans feeling.
Better you dont write on chiru. it may be your opinion or decision. you cannot judge millions.
And i dont agree this blog for sundry. When we dont know things we should not write.
Please dont give opinion on millions which u dont know.

This is not any personal, iam reminding you that since we have a blog do not write this.
A gal who started love in 16 may not be matured. Love marriage should not be an eloped one since they are not doing any wrong.
IF there love ws true every one would have agreed. Your love is true so, you married by making all happy and agreement.
It would have happened if it was true.

Chiru is silent since he dont want to make his daughter defame. And he is letting her leave her own way of life.
ANy way I strongly opose your opinion. AND i never expected you being so responsible writing this

Girish Mallapragada said...

Venu,

Point well taken. However, boss ... if one cannot freely express one's opinion there is no meaning to free speech!

I should not have probably judged Chiranjeevi's silence as his disapproval. I don't know what was going on in his mind. It is possible that he is keeping silent because, he is being a true gentleman!


However, from what his daughter claimed in the media, he seemed not to like it. Maybe, I should not have interpreted his cinematic roles with what he thinks in his real life. But, then does it not apply to everything in his life?

Well anyways, I do not buy your opinion that we should not blog about something we don't know. I don't understand your logic about being responsible. I am entitled to an opinion whether I know something or not.
In fact, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are free to cultivate whatever opinion you might have. I guess we have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Peace!

srinivas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Girish Mallapragada said...

Bossulu,

andari chiru fans ki oka dandam! I was a chiru fan myself for a long time in my life, so please let it go! I have moved on.

I have nothing against chiranjeevi. The only point I am trying to make is that I found it amusing that he has played so many roles where he promotes love as he ultimate thing, but somehow makes it seem that his daughter cannot get married to someone she loves. I might be wrong in my interpretation, that is all I have to say on this issue.