Saturday, August 25, 2007

We shall prevail

My hometown experienced yet another act of terror today.  Explosions in two crowded areas killed more than 30 people.  One occurred at an amusement park frequently visited by families in the evenings.  The other occurred at a very popular eating joint in the heart of the city's shopping district. My heart goes out to the victims of these violent acts. I hope the system brings those responsible to justice quickly.

I have visited the eating joint called, Gokul chat bandar so many times when I lived in hyderabad, that I can't help but shiver at the thought of a bomb going off at that joint.  Who could commit such indespicable acts?  There is bound to be a lot of finger pointing, but I hope people keep their sense and do not resort to acts of hate inspired by communal mistrust.  Hyderabad has had its share of communal riots in the past, and I am proud that in the last decade or so tensions have subsided quite a bit and religious tensions do not dominate the political landscape anymore.  I am sure, that the city will get over the latest violence in unity and prove to the world that we do live in peace. 

4 comments:

Bharad said...

why do you acknowledge terrorism. in the process we ourselves spread fear and panic, making the culprits pseudo heroes.

in fact many more innocent people are killed, everyday in road accidents. but i don't get to see anyone bothering this cause.

remember, the very next day almost 3000+ marriages took place in this very city, but politicians want to halt us by staging bandh.

media needs some story and has screwed up by giving greater visibility

are we not making them heroes in the process?!

just ignore and get along!!

Girish Mallapragada said...

Bharad,

Ignoring a problem does not make it go away. I agree with you that the media makes it a bigger issue than it seems to be, but that does not belittle the intentions of people who planned these attacks.

More importantly, you say more people die in road accidents than terrorist acts, yes indeed. But, what makes acts of terrorism different is that some individuals "chose" to take the lives of innocent civilians to spread fear and panic and probably nothing else. If you don't see the difference, I can only wish you do someday. And, the way you counter it is at least by condemning it in public and speak about it and the spirit of Hyderabad - not by ignoring it and walking away as if nothing happened.

Bharad said...

english is a bloody language.

i dont mean to walk away scot free. let the judiciary have a law/framework to deal with the criminals and let the life force get along

Girish Mallapragada said...

I guess what you are saying is that I misread your comment. Well, as long as you didn't say we should not bother - I am ok.